Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Beat Introduction: Pullman Animals

I will be maintaining this blog for the purposes of covering a beat in the course, Com 335: Broadcast News Reporting at Washington State University.

This blog will serve to discuss events and news revolving around the Whitman County Animal Shelter and/or the WSU Animal Science Program and College of Veterinary Medicine.

I selected this beat because I have loved animals and cared for their overall health and well-being ever since I was a little kid.

I grew up in a household that always had at least one pet present, including dogs, cats, mice, and even a salamander. I plan to never live a day of my life without at least one pet dog in my life. Man's best friend has always played an important part of my life and their company and presence is something I will always value.

Pets are important not only because they have feelings too, but also because they serve as companion animals for people of need and can be very therapeutic to human-beings, particularly the sick or elderly.
In fact, one of the worst things about living at college is not being able to care for a dog while I am here. 

Whitman County Animal Shelter put together a wonderful program last year in which they brought various cats and dogs to the WSU campus and allowed students to spend time petting and playing with the animals. The event was intended as a stress-reliever for students during finals week. I felt as though many students, including myself, thoroughly enjoyed the program and it helped us ease the sadness that resided in us about leaving our loving pets at home.

It was this program and others that gave me a desire to volunteer at the shelter. I still need to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment