Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Beat Update: Interview with a Veterinarian

Interview with Dr. Robert Bishop D.V.M., owner of a veterinary clinic in Whidbey Island, WA


*Bishop Blvd. in Pullman is named for his family.


What is your degree and where did you attend school? 

WSU for BS and WSU College of Veterinary Medicine for Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

Why did you choose your profession? 

I enjoy science, medicine and animals so it seemed like a good fit. It seemed glamorous before I actually began working.

What is the greatest part of your job? 

Helping vulnerable patients.  Relieving pain in animals gives me great satisfaction. Knowing that I have helped preserve the bond that people have with their pets.

What is the favorite part of your job? 

Lifesaving procedures, it makes all the drudgery worthwhile.  C-sections are my favorite surgeries because of the happy endings.

What is the hardest part of your job? 

Telling people they have a life-ending situation and there is no way to help them. Euthanasia by far.

Did you ever see yourself where you are now? 

No, I planned to do large animal medicine and surgery (cattle and horses).  I began at WSU with the goal of becoming a high school teacher.

If you could do another profession, what would it be? 

Photographer

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

In my own practice and taking more/longer vacations.


I have always cared for animals especially pets such as dogs and cats. Much like Dr. Bishop, I thought of becoming a veterinarian but at a young age imagined it being less emotionally draining and difficult than it actually is. I have considered taking veterinary sciences courses here at WSU because the program is prestigious and I want to see if my interest in the profession is genuine. However, my communication with Dr. Bishop has led me to believe that it would not be my ideal job. I do not think I could bear to not only deal with the animals in pain but also the looks on the faces of the owners who were about to lose a pet they loved. As mentioned, this is the part of the job that Dr. Bishop does not enjoy. Overall, my interview with Dr. Bishop was very insightful and I got to know a bit more about how veterinarians deal with day-to-day life in an often stressful profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment